In the wake of employment transition from the agricultural sector industry has got due emphasis or both in growth and employment generation in the state. Manufacturing, construction, Electricity, gas, water supply & other utility services are in Industrial sector. Industrial sector contributes 19 % share and total of 22.1% which includes Mining in Gross State Value Added (GSVA) at current prices in 2016-17 to the Telangana economy. The Annual Survey of Industries (ASI) is the major source of industrial statistics. The structure of industry in the state is analyzed using ASI data from 2008-09 to 2013-14.These statistics show, there is a significant growth in the number of factories registered in Telangana, from 7,357 in 2008-09 to 11,068 in 2013-14, posting 50 % increase in growth. Similarly, other indicators have registered a positive growth during this period. The percentage of the state with respect to All India, the share of net value added was 3.47 % and gross value added was 3.38 %, during 2013-14.
Socio-economic outlook-2017 by planning department of Telangana- http://ecostat.telangana.gov.in/PDF/PUBLICATIONS/Socio_Economic_Outlook_2017.pdf/
Telangana has varied geology, endowed with a rich and wide variety of minerals suitable for specific mineral industries. The state has natural stores of coal, iron ore, limestone, dolomite, manganese, quartz, feldspar, stowing sand, laterite, clays, yellow ochre, barytes, uranium, black and colored granite, limestone, fuller's earth, marble, road metalling/building stone/ballast, gravel/earth and ordinary sand. Mining sector contributes 3.1 % share in Gross State Value Added at current prices in 2016-17 to the Telangana economy.
Mining for coal and limestone falls under the large-scale mechanized sector, while granite, dolomite, quartz, feldspar, clays and barytes, etc., fall under semi-mechanized medium sector and the other minerals fall under semi mechanized small sector. Nearly 90 per cent of mines fall under small sector and the remaining 10 per cent under medium and large sectors. Telangana is the only state in the entire southern India with vast deposits of coal, which is being mined by M/s Singareni Collieries Company Ltd., a State Public Sector Undertaking.
The Government of Telangana aims to serve as a guiding force to translate the state's mineral potential into reality with the objectives of eco-friendly and sustainable mining.
Socio-economic outlook-2017 by planning department of Telangana- http://ecostat.telangana.gov.in/PDF/PUBLICATIONS/Socio_Economic_Outlook_2017.pdf
EFFECTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE ON INDUSTRIES IN TELANGANA
• Increasing fossil fuel consumption and GHG emissions from the industries
• Increasing number of industries in state and their improper waste management practices
• Fisheries sector is highly vulnerable to climate change effects and extreme weather conditions.
• Agro-business and food processing industries are vulnerable to extreme weather events like rainfalls, heat waves etc.
• Depletion and degradation of surface water, aquifers and leaching from dumps causing acid mine drainage
• Land degradation and large scale deforestation, noise and vibration, destruction of habitat, loss of bio-diversity
• The activities in open cast mining like blasting, drilling, excavation; truck loading and transportation are responsible for the increase of suspended particulate matter in the air
• Dislocation of human communities and health impacts on the community living in close proximity to the Industries
• Enforce 'cleaner production processes' and waste minimization across industries, in partnership with the Central and State Pollution Control Boards
• Assess the vulnerability of major industrial hubs to climate related risks
• Protect agro industry through mapping and shifting the supply chain towards less climate change vulnerable zone
• Protection and disaster mitigation works to minimize risks to industrial hubs (e.g. alternate rail and road access, improving drainage, alternate water supply sources etc.)
• Minimize environmental damage including GHG emissions, caused by industrial and mining activities
• Promote diversified and dispersed industries, including small/medium scale agro processing, to stabilize agricultural livelihoods
• Intensive research for the biological methods of metal extraction from mine spoils to prevent acid mine drainage
• Pollution prevention measures to reduce prevent air pollution during open cast mining activities
• Implementation of resettlement and rehabilitation plans for affected population
• Compensatory afforestration activities on a large scale.
Source: TSAPCC- http://www.moef.gov.in/sites/default/files/Telangana.pdf
INITIATIVES BY TELANGANA GOVERNMENT
Initiatives in the Industrial sector
In order to facilitate growth of industrial sector, the Telangana government initiated number of industrial friendly policies; notable one among them is the enactment of the new industrial policy, viz., the Telangana State-Industrial Project Approval and Self-certification System (TS-iPASS) Act, 2014, which is the first policy of its kind in India. As a result of the new policy, Telangana has become the most attractive destination for investment in the country in a very short period of time.
Climate Change Adaption in Industrial Areas of Telangana
The Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) Project for Industrial Areas of AP and TS is assisted by the German Federal Agency of Economic Affairs (BMZ) and is being carried out by INTEGRATION Environment and Energy GmbH, Adelphi Consult and Ifanos Concept & Planning of Germany on behalf of the Deutsche GesellschaftfurInternationaleZusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. This project has a commitment of EUR 2.5 million from the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) for a 3 year period commencing from April 2015 and ending in April 2018. This CCA Cooperation Project with Germany will help to proactively take measures in Industries and Industrial Parks to adapt to Climate Change and overcome the associated negative impacts and risks for continuation of business by industries. The project will also help developing methods and tools, plans for climate-resilient industrial area development and implement the measures on pilot basis in selected existing and new Industrial Parks in the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana to reach overall objective of project as "Key decision makers and planning authorities are able to plan and design existing and new industrial areas to be more climate-resilient."
Source: Telangana Industries & Infrastructure Corporation (TSIIC) http://tsiic.telangana.gov.in/climate-change-adaptation-in-industrial-areas/
Initiatives in the Mining sector:
In the light of the new State of Telangana's recently enacted Mines & Minerals (Development & Regulation) Amendment Act, 2015, and related rules, the State Government is considering the priorities for development of the mineral sector and formulating a 'State Mineral Policy' with special focus on swift clearances, speedy grant of mineral
concessions with prioritization for captive industry; incentives as applicable under TS-iPASS (the new Industrial Policy); good infrastructural facilities; pronouncing entrepreneur-friendly initiatives; emphasis on environmental aspects; initiatives for conservation of minerals and waste management; identification and assistance in establishing auxiliary/ancillary industries for better utilization of byproducts generated from mining and mineral industry, etc.
The State Government has introduced the 'Online Mineral e-Payment & e-Permit System', facilitating payment of statutory amounts, filing, processing, issue of dispatch permits and generation of transit forms (way bills) by leaseholders through a user-friendly online service, totally avoiding any manual interface.
Source: Socio-economic outlook-2017 by planning department of Telangana- http://ecostat.telangana.gov.in/PDF/PUBLICATIONS/Socio_Economic_Outlook_2017.pdf
2) Socio-economic outlook-2017 by planning department of Telangana- http://ecostat.telangana.gov.in/PDF/PUBLICATIONS/Socio_Economic_Outlook_2017.pdf
3) Telangana Industries & Infrastructure Corporation (TSIIC) http://tsiic.telangana.gov.in/climate-change-adaptation-in-industrial-areas/